Thursday, August 27, 2009

20 weeks!

I am 20 weeks along today! To celebrate such a joyous occasion I will have an ultrasound where Lord-willing hopefully we will be able to find out the babies sexes!! I have an appointment with a "super doctor" as I call him, or a perinatologist technically, that comes up to town once a month. The ultrasound will serve to get an overall picture of what is going on with the babies which includes many intricate things I'm sure I will never comprehend. I'm very thankful for such expertise on my case! I will also discuss with this doctor and get a second opinion on contractions and what my degree of activity should be (my regular doctor told me to go about normally but also asked that I get a second opinion). However, I read that taking fish oil pills can help to keep pre-term labor at bay and since I started taking them my contractions have pretty much gone away. When I've forgotten for a couple days I can really tell a difference- I guess it has something to do with improved circulation? I'm not totally convinced yet but the omega-3s are good for the babies either way. I'll talk that over with the doc also. I'm feeling the little ones quite often now but can't tell one from the other. I once could tell both were moving at the same time and that was quite exciting! Their movements are getting noticeably stronger.

My guesses for the sexes are in order:
1: 1 boy 1 girl
2: 2 boys
3: 2 girls

I think now is the time to take a stand on your guess!

My first and second guesses are pretty close on my guess scale but #3 of 2 girls seems very unlikely in my mind. Why? I don't know. I'm just so excited I can't hardly wait- I've been anticipating it for like 7 weeks since the appointment was made!! Any combination sounds just absolutely wonderful and exciting to me!

Here is a copy and paste of their development now:

Your baby weighs about 10 1/2 ounces now. He's also around 6 1/2 inches long from head to bottom and about 10 inches from head to heel — the length of a banana. (For the first 20 weeks, when a baby's legs are curled up against his torso and hard to measure, measurements are taken from the top of his head to his bottom — the "crown to rump" measurement. After 20 weeks, he's measured from head to toe.)

He's swallowing more these days, which is good practice for his digestive system. He's also producing meconium, a black, sticky by-product of digestion. This gooey substance will accumulate in his bowels, and you'll see it in his first soiled diaper (some babies pass meconium in the womb or during delivery).


Fraternal Twins in the womb at 20 weeks. This is from the same website that the 16 week picture is from.

20 weeks!

19 weeks (not a whole lot of difference!)

1 comment:

B.A. Hunter said...

Hello,
I wanted to invite you to my blog, Happily Domestic. I write about homemaking and all that goes with that. I have 2 giveaways at present and many more to come. I am trying to get the word out as I have a fairly new blog. Here is the link to my current giveaway for a Baby Dipper bowl. :-) Hope you stop by!
Thanks,
Beth
http://happilydomestic.blogspot.com/2009/08/baby-dipper-bowl-review-giveaway.html